Love gyros but short on time? Vegan gyros made simply by spicing plant-based ground then shaping into patties before cooking. Although I included my tzatziki sauce recipe, make dinner even simpler by using premade vegan tzatziki; Trader Joe's vegan tzatziki dip is delicious. I served these tasty gyros with Greek Styled Potatoes
2 x 12oz packages plant-based ground
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp oregano
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp rosemary
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 pita breads
Shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions for serving
Vegan feta cheese(optional)
1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (Tofutti)
3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp dried dill
2/3 cup cucumber, peeled, deseeded, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 a lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Prepare tzatziki sauce- Drain finely chopped cucumber in colander to remove excess liquid, then combine with remaining Tzatziki ingredients. Refrigerate for 1 or more hours.
2. Place plant-based ground in a large bowl and add garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, cumin, salt and pepper. Using hands to mix until well combined.
3. Shape plant-based meat mixture into 6 oval patties. Place onto waxed paper then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tsp oil, cook patties until browned, approximately 3 minutes per side.
5. Warm pita bread in separate skillet, oven or open flame.
6. Assemble gyros in pita with lettuce, gyro spiced patties, tzatziki, sliced onions, cucumbers and tomatoes. Sprinkle with plant-based feta crumbles if desired.
Greek Styled Roasted Potatoes