Nothing like a nice big pot of pasta to feed a crowd. Simple and quick, this dish uses an entire pound of mushrooms; YUM. I used jarred sundried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil but dry sundried tomatoes can be used; just pop them in with the pasta during the last minute of cooking. No nutritional yeast? Skip it. No rules, just yum.
1 lb pasta of choice
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 cups vegetable broth
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1lb crimini/mini bella mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4-6 cups baby spinch
1/2 cup Vegan parmesan, grated
Fresh parsley, chopped(optional)
1. Place cashews in a blender. Heat vegetable broth to boil, then pour over cashews and set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, set aside. **note if using dried sundried tomatoes opposed to ones in olive oil, add them to pasta while during last minute of cooking.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to blender with cashews.
3. Add lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt to blender then blend until creamy. Note* it will be watery. Set aside.
4. Return the skillet to stove over medium-high heat with another Tbsp olive oil. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook until softened and slightly browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the cream sauce, sundried tomatoes and spinach to skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook until simmering, approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vegan parmesan cheese until melted.
5. Stir in pasta then cook until heated through. Garnish with parsley and serve with additional vegan parmesan if desired.