A big pot of pasta is a great way to kick off a weekend. This Purple Carrot inspired recipe is a tasty way to get your greens in. Sundried tomatoes are delish any way you slice them.
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed & cut in half
1 lb penne pasta
1 oz fresh basil leaves
1 bunch Lacinato kale, destemmed
1/4 cup pine nuts(or almonds)
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 tsp red chile flakes
6 oz sundried tomatoes
Vegan parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta. When done, return it to the pot then toss with 1 tsp olive oil and keep warm. **If using dehydrated sundried tomatoes, toss them into the pasta during last minute of cooking**
2. While pasta cooking, toss brussels sprouts with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet, cut side down, until crispy and brown in spots, approximately 7 minutes.
3. Add the basil leaves, kale leaves, pine nuts, reserved pasta water, garlic, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, and the juice from the lemon to a food processor/blender. Season with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and red chili flakes. Blend until smooth.
4. Add kale pesto to pasta then return pot to medium low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, brussels sprouts and kale pesto to pasta and stir to combine.
5. Serve pasta and sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese.