What's in your crisper? This hearty lcrisperate season stew/soup is an opportunity to clean out the crisper then soak up all the juice with bread. I used onions, carrots, parsips, potatoes, cabbage and kale. I added Fieldroast Italian sausages and finished it off with a little lemon. Yum.
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, sliced
2 parsnips, sliced into 1/4 moons
2 stalks celery, sliced
10 mini potatoes, cut into 8ths
2 cups cabbage, chopped
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp tomato paste
6 cups broth (I used 'no chicken' boullion)
1 bay leaf
4 Fieldroast Italian sausage, sliced into half moons
1 small bunch kale, destemmed & chopped
1. In a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp olive oil, sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook another minute. Stir in all the vegetables except kale and sauté for 5 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in Italian seasonings, paprika and tomato paste and cook for another minute to release the aromatics. Pour in broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
3. While soup is simmering, sauté Italian sausages in a medium pan over medium-high heat with 2 tsp olive oil until browned, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. After soup has simmered 20 minutes, stir in cooked sausage and kale. Return to boil, the reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer another 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaf. Squeeze in juice from half the lemon. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. Serve with vegan parmesan cheese, chili pepper flakes and bread.