Autumn and winter are perfect for sweet and savory pizza. Hummus is the base instead of tomato sauce and roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions and spinach bring the savory while diced apples and balsamic reduction adds a touch of sweet. Vegan feta(I use Follow Your Heart) is amazing on most anything, but this tasty pie is equally delicious without it.
Pizza dough of choice
3/4 cup hummus
2/3 cup vegan mozzarella, shredded
2 cups butternut squash(1/2" cubes)
2 sweet onions, sliced
1 Tbsp vegan butter
2 tsp sugar
4 cups baby spinach
1 apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup vegan feta cheese
Balsamic reduction/glaze for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Toss cubed butternut squash with 1 Tbsp olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Set aside.
2. If using a pizza stone, place in oven and increase temperature to 475°F. If using regular pizza pan, increase heat to 450°F
3. While butternut squash roasting, Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp vegan butter. Add onions and 2 teaspoons sugar to pan; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
4. Add spinach to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until wilted. Place spinach in a colander, pressing liquid out then pat dry with a towel.
5. Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface then transfer to pizza peel dusted with corn meal or to pizza pan. Brush edges with olive oil. Assemble pizza by spreading hummus over dough then sprinkle with vegan mozzarella. Top with sautéed spinach, roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions and diced apples. Sprinkle a little salt over pizza.
6. Pizza Stone- using pizza peel, slide onto stone and bake 12-14 minutes. Pizza pan- bake 15-17 minutes.
7. Before slicing, sprinkle vegan feta cheese over pizza and serve with balsamic reduction/glaze for drizzling.