Jerk spice is one of my favorite spices and I'm always looking for something to sprinkle it on. Adding something sweet like mango is a perfect juxtaposition to the heat. This recipe is adapted from Purple Carrot.
2 sweet potatoes ,peeled and cut into wedges
1.5-2 Tbsp jerk seasoning
1/3 cup red onion, minced, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
2 mangos, diced
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, zested
15 oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 1/4 cups basmati/jasmine rice
14 oz can coconut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place sweet potato wedges in a large bowl and toss with 1.5 Tbsp vegetable oil, jerk seasoning, and a pinch of salt. Roast 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tsp oil, saute half the minced onion and half the minced garlic. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rice, coconut milk, 1 tsp salt, and 2/3 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Combine the remaining minced onion, minced garlic, diced mango, cilantro, juice from the lime and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl.
4. When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the lime zest and kidney beans.
5. Serve sweet potatoes over rice topped with the mango salsa. Serve with additional lime wedges(optional)